Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Friday 25 November 2011

Christmas Gifts and Crochet Barbie Dress

To keep Christmas spending down to a minimum this year I've decided that most gifts will be handmade. I say that every year but this time it's more of a necessity it's either that or no gift giving.

I have our parents, siblings, nieces, nephews and a growing number of great nieces and nephews. We don't really swap gifts with my husband's family, just his parents and a brother or two. Husband has already bought gifts for his brothers. Oh and one of his nephews family who just happen to be neigbours of ours.

I want to stick with supplies I already have on hand for the most part. I've started with a cute crocheted Elephant for a 1 year old great niece, at the moment it's waiting to be stuffed and sewn, perhaps a dress for her as well.






For her 5 year old sister and 4 year old cousin, it will be Barbie Dolls and dolls clothes. The Barbies have been in my stash for ages, I bought them a few years back to make Christmas Angels with. Was going to use Originals by Gidge designs

This dress was inspired by a pattern that was originally on Originals by Gidge. I only had 4ply cotton on hand so thought it would look fine sized up. Was going to make a long dress with bodice but during the first fitting of the skirt part, I tried it out as a strapless dress. Hmmm liked it.

Crocheted Barbie Dress.

4ply cotton
2.5mm crochet hook

Chain 7
Row 1:
1 dc, 2 ch, 1dc into 5th chain from hook, 1 dc into last ch. 3 ch, turn

Row 2:

1 dc, 2 ch, 1 dc into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain. 3 chain, turn

Row 3.

Repeat row 2.

Row 4:

2 dc, 2 ch, 2 dc into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain, 3 chain, turn

Row 5:

Repeat Row 4

Row 6,

3dc, 2 ch, 3 dc into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain. 3 chain, turn

Rows 7 & 8:

Repeat row 6

Row 9

4 dc, 2 ch, 4 dc into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain. 3 chain, turn

Rows 10, 11 & 12

Repeat row 9

Row 13:

5 dc, 2 ch, 5 dc into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain. 3 chain, turn

Row 14:

Repeat row 13

Row 15:

6 dc, 2 ch, 6c into 2 ch space, 1 dc into top of turning chain. 3 chain, turn

Row 16: Final row.

Repeat row 15, except for 3 chain, finish off. Leave enough thread for sewing panels together - 20 - 30 cm.

Repeat the above 4 more times, 5 panels in all. Do not finish off on final (5th) panel, leave thread on hook. Do not cut thread.

Laying panels flat side by side, just butt the edges together and join with simple overcast stitch, don't worry about taking small stitches, the lacy effect hides the stitches well. I stitched each panel as I completed them, saved having to make a new panel when one mysteriously disappears. As they do, trust me I know. Happens to me all the time, things just disappear.

Stitch 5 panels together to form flat piece.




With hook and remaining thread.

1 ch, sc up the edge of final panel, I did 2 sc per "hole" and 1 sc into edge of each shell. At the top turn corner by stitching 1 chain and then sc across top of all panels, 1 ch to turn and repeat down the edge of the first panel. Finish off, leave enough thread for stitching.


Stitch to about 3 cm below top and finish off. Sew press stud, velcro dot or button and loop for closure. Straps can be added if needed.

No comments: