Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Sunday 22 May 2011

It's not your creation until you add some DNA

Tomorrow we are going to a Medieval Fayre at the reserve just down the road, there will be armoured knights jousting, demonstrations and stalls to shop at. I'm tossing up as to which is my favourite the demonstrations or the shopping.

Figured I needed something better than jeans to wear but what? Thought about my Olive tiered skirt but it's in need of repairs then I remembered a dress that I bought with the idea to cut it up to make a skirt. It cost $10 but was a size 8, way too small but I liked the colour and there was a lot of fabric in the skirt.

After deciding how long I wanted it to be, long enough to hide the legs but short enough to show off my Granny boots, I cut it just above on of the tiers. Left enough fabric to form a casing for elastic. Couldn't be bothered getting the machine out so hand stitched it in front of the tv, which is where the DNA comes in, caught the thread in a cut on my finger (did it cutting onions yesterday). I only bled on the elastic so it's hidden. Used a simple running stitch and before long I had a nice new skirt which goes ok with a t shirt I already had, though the cardigan I hoped it would go with doesn't. Looks like I need to head into the shops early tomorrow to see if I can find something to go over the tshirt.


While I was sewing my daughter picked up the top part and mentioned it would make her a nice top, which had been my plan in the beginning but her words to me at the time were that she didn't like the back of it. There's a crochet medallion she didn't like, I'm sure we can work something out.
The seams on the tiers are all raw and on the outside, there's no hem on the skirt, I have also left the raw edge on the top, so this was a very easy transformation (could have also been easily done bloodfree) and I think it an absolute bargain.

No comments: