Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Sunday 30 October 2011

Cordial Recipes

I'm ashamed to say there is a bottle of commercial orange cordial sitting in the pantry, it's been there for ages. Last time I tried some I didn't like the taste at all, having been spoilt with the flavour of homemade lemon cordial.

Finally got around to making Lemon cordial tonight and decided to give Orange a go too. The recipe is very simple 1:1:1 ratio of sugar, water and juice.

Sugar Syrup
Heat equal amounts of sugar and water - I used 2 cups of each- in a saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved. Allow to cool

For Lemon Cordial I squeezed 5 Lemons - heated for about 20 - 30 seconds in microwave to get more juice. This gave me 400 ml of juice to which I added 400 ml of sugar syrup.

Strain juice through cheese cloth - I use 2 strainers , one finer than the other. The first catches the bulk of the fibre and the second the rest.

Pour into bottle and chill. Serve diluted to taste with cold water and ice for a refreshing drink. It will keep for 3 - 4 weeks in the fridge but I rather make small batches and drink it within 2 weeks. Can also be frozen for later use.

For Orange Cordial the recipe above is the same but it does matter on the flavour of the oranges used, tonight I added an extra 2 oranges to strengthen the flavour.


No wastage, use for the peels

Lemon Cleaneer

Lemon Peels
Vinegar

Into a jar put the lemon peels, jam as much as you can in. You can keep adding extra peels too. Top up the jar with vinegar, screw on lid. Then leave sit for a few weeks.

The end result is a highly lemon scented vinegar which is then diluted 50-50 with water and put in a spray bottle to be used as a general spray cleaner.

Can use orange, mandarin peels in the same way.

1 comment:

Thrifty Household said...

I've made a lemon cordial but didn't think to try the orange version- It sounds lovely (I suppose lime would be pretty good too...)

Back in the 70s, my sister drank lots of orange squash & her skin went an odd shade of orange- my Mum wouldn't buy anymore after that!