Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Knitted Socks

Creative bug has bitten. Finally.

I've been up to good in the sewing room, tidying and clearing out. I can see carpet and no longer have to walk by squirreling my foot into the mess, hoping I hit floor without breaking anything. Yep I'm that tidy, and have taught the kids well - if I ask them to put anything into my sewing room they know that the floor just inside the door is the perfect place for whatever it is, no matter how big it is. What I've found in there, lots of surprises - clothing in garbage bags, apparently I asked my son to tidy the loungeroom and there was clean laundry in there, I had wondered why I had lost much of my clothing. Right now I can't get in there, my daughter has taken over and is watching a DVD, this is what I can hear from there right now. This is my favourite version of HMS Pinafore, by the Australian company ESSGEE, so sad I missed out on seeing it on stage - had a new baby that I wouldn't leave with a sitter. That was 16 years ago, I had seen their version of Pirates of Penzance several times, the last the most memorable because as I made my way to my seat I put my hand to my stomach and thought 'I'm pregnant' and then had to wait 2 weeks for me to be pregnant enough to show up when tested. The first test I took a day or so after had the doctor telling me I was "slightly pregnant". What a nice memory to have.











Anyway back to the subject of this post, I finally finished a pair of socks. I'm both delighted and disappointed, they knitted up quick and easily, the longest part was finishing up the toes, they were waiting til I either bought or found a sewing needle. I am happy to say that I found one last night, yay for tidying. The delight part is that they are warm but the disappointment is that they are too loose and keep slipping around my foot and sagging. They are knitted in a thickish acrylic yarn, Moda Vera 'Ella' from Spotlight, it's lovely and soft, I'd say about a 12 ply equivalent. I've already started another pair in the same yarn, sticking to 5mm needles this time, the others were done in both 5 and 5.5 mm. The patterns are from Learn to Knit Socks, a book that I will use again and again for sure, there are 26 different designs from babies to adults in varying size yarn.




The pictures below show my version in pink, the last image shows the sag, next time I keep to the smaller needles or add knitting elastic.






Like I said these were quick and easy to knit up, I am not a fantastically quick knitter, I knit in front of the tv which adds time. I've only completed one pair of socks before, for my Dad's birthday a couple of years back, I gave myself only a week to knit those up out of a wool silk blend yarn that I spun myself. The image below is my only other complete sock, it's from a purchased sock yarn (from Lincraft) and was easy to knit up, the fine thread took a while, it has the opposite problem from my latest foray, it's too tight, I made the foot too short and is the reason why I didn't get around to do the other. One day.



Yesterday I found a better patten for the coat I am planning on making at Spotlight (I only went there for interfacing, I swear) it's New Look 6920, the longer version.






It looks more like my vision, needs some gathering though. I also found some purple velvet, not quite the tone that I hoped, will keep looking for that. I know the fabric exists because we sell cushion covers in it at work. Will get the fabric next weekend, have a coupon for 25% off.

No comments: