Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Sunday 29 May 2011

Redingote

WOW I am on a roll today, 3 posts, I am inspired.



The other day a friend posted on Facebook that she was after a green velvet jacket and it got me thinking that I would love a velvet jacket or coat too. Had a definite picture in my head along with the colour either purple or burgundy. I didn't know what the style of coat was called until I came across the word Redingcote on a link, I clicked it to see what it meant and found out what I was after was just that, also known as a Riding Coat.


The next thing was to get a pattern, that was either exact or adaptable. Didn't find much in the mainstream pattern companies so I put it to the back of my mind for a while. My daughter had been sitting at my desk and had left a pile of patterns, I glanced at each as I added to another pile - the last one was a classic coat pattern that looks perfect to adapt. It's a discontinued patten.







The lower part needs a lot more flare, my image has extra fabric in the back, possibly with gathering at the waist of the centre back panel.



A quick search for Redingote images just brought up a beautiful coat with flares in each of the panels, just lovely. I found the picture at Indie Fame- the plus side of DIY.





I love this coat even though it's not what I have pictured, there's no reason not to make 2 coats.





No comments: