Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Stretch velvet sewing day 3

Didn't do any sewing yesterday, attended one niece's baby shower and then went on to visit her sister who wasn't able to attend. She's having a hard time so I thought I'd drop in some hypnosis cds. We sat, drank tea, talked, snuggled with her kids for over 3 hours. She messaged me later that she had tried one of the cd sessions and the difference in how she was feeling was amazing, told me she loved me and I was the best Aunt ever. I read that when I hopped into bed and went to sleep with smile on my face.

I did find some fabric to use as lining, it's swimsuit lining, stretchy and soft enough to do as I wanted - but only came in black or beige. Black was fine, it's only for the bodice, possibly sleeves and I am going to do Hong Kong seams for any visible seams in black satin bias. It's funny how when you are deciding whether to do something or not something always pops up to aid your decision. Now I have never seen any garment that had Hong Kong seams, only in pictures but today a customer was wearing a lovely skirt that had Hong Kong seams on the outside as a design feature, I found myself staring and admiring it.

No pictures tonight I spent most of my sewing time procrastinating then cut out the lining fabric and testing seam finishes. The Hong Kong seams look great but added bulk to the seam that was visible from the outside, after some trials I decided that a flat fell seam was best. It's the sort of seam that is on the leg of jeans. Because the lining will cover the seam I didn't worry about folding under the raw edge of the top seam allowance which kept the bulk down and made the seams easy to top stitch.

I finished all the seams and then thought about the shoulder seams, as I went to start I noticed the light in the room flicker. I had spent the time listening to Doreen Virtue reading her Archangel Raphael and wondered whether this was a sign to finish up for the evening, putting my work down, the flickering stopped. After a few moments I thought no that I wanted to get it done and picked up the bodice with determination. As soon as I got it in my hands the light went out completely. Took that as a message.

My lamp was still on and I turned it off while still seated at my desk, and looked around the room to get my eyes acustomed to the dark. What I saw was lovely, I was surrounded by sparkles of white light, pin pricking the dark. It was a lovely way to end the night, I know the angels were letting me know they were with me.

No comments: