Gingerbread Crafts

Gingerbread Crafts
Time for tea.

Friday 15 February 2008

When faced with curdles - make cheese.



I put the yogurt back in for another hour but made the mistake of putting more boiling water in the unit. Didn't check the results when I put it in the fridge last night, when I looked at this morning I noticed it looked curdled. So I just brought my Yogurt Cheese plans forward. Had no cheesecloth so settled for a clean teatowel, put it in a strainer over a bowl and poured the lumpy liquid in. Had a quick taste test, very promising. Strained it for maybe 2 hours, wasn't timing it and just took it out. It's like a creamed cottage cheese and in my opinion tastes better. Tried it on crackers, quite nice plain but even better with a little sweet chillie sauce. MMMM no more Sweet Chilly Philly for me. I'm sure the kids will like it too.

Edit - Both the kids tried it, I asked my son if it was better than Sweet chilli philly, he said no but then as he was eating it I kept hearing little grunts of pleasure. I AM allowed to make it again - I'm waiting for the day when they have Sweet chilly philly again and tell me it isn't as good as my version.


Now I just have to find something to do with the whey - saw a post on making a type of cheese simply by boiling whey until all the liquid is gone. I wonder!
So I gave it a go and simmered it until was left with a fudgy goo, the instructions said it takes 5 hours but I only had a little whey. It has a very cheesy flavour, is very chewy - a bit like cheese flavoured chewing gum. I won't be trying this again.


No comments: